Pathway To PICC Certification (CPUI™)
Become a certified PICC inserter (CPUI™). This is a pathway to grow your career as a vascular access specialist. Attain expert status in this exciting field by following this progress chart. Whether beginner or qualified PICC inserter, take the next steps to raise your qualifications to Expert, then maintain those qualifications through renewal and experience.
Step #1: BECOME PICC QUALIFIED*
Basic Insertion Bundle Workshops with Basic Insertion Bundle
- Complete the required education (in a class or online)
- Perform a supervised simulated insertion
- Perform clinical precepted insertions on patients, establishing competency as documented by your preceptor (Competency Assessment form)
- Gain your education through the online Basic Insertion Bundle or PICC Workshops. *PICC Excellence PICC qualification and PICC Certification™ (CPUI™)
*PICC Excellence PICC qualification and PICC Certification™ (CPUI™) are based on SHEA recommendations, INS Standards and CDC guidelines regarding PICC training, precepted insertions on patients and need to establish procedural competence.
Step #2: Gain PICC Insertion Experience
Programs to Deepen Your Knowledge
- Establish competency with supervised insertions
- Perform more than 25 unsupervised insertions in a clinical setting
- Complete courses dealing with
- Safe IV Patient Care
- PICC Site Assessment