Advanced Ultrasound Assessment for PICC Placement
This educational program is for clinicians who already know how to place PICCs using Ultrasound technology and are ready to take their practice to the next level. The Advanced Ultrasound Assessment program teaches critical thinking for vein selection. Developing scanning techniques and assessment protocols that take full advantage of the technical and clinical benefits of bedside ultrasound should be the goal of all health care professionals inserting vascular access devices. As we more fully incorporate the use of available technologies into practice, the goal is not just to achieve greater access success, but to increase patient safety and satisfaction through advanced practice initiatives and site selection, allowing for increased optimal outcomes.
The Advanced Ultrasound Assessment program includes the following course topics, designed to take a more detailed look at the use of ultrasound devices, their controls and techniques for better venous visualization.
• What is Advanced Ultrasound Assessment?
• Understanding Ultrasound
• Probesmanship and the importance of gel
• Ultrasound Scanning Controls
• Scan Preparation and Performing the Scan
• Characteristics of Thrombosis
• Vein Selection Criteria
• Impact of Ultrasound Assessment on Insertion
• Risk/Benefit Ratio and Preservation of Access
• Best Practice Guidelines and Scope of PracticePages: 1 2